Monday 1 June 2015

Participating WWOOF in Whangarei


On the same day of my bungy jump in Taupo, I meant to travel to Whangarei for WWOOF (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) program as arranged. My arrival in Whangarei was later than I expected and it’s dark when I reached the town. I was actually felt sorry to meet my host at the night and I intended to stay overnight in any hostel in town before I met him the next day. However, he’s very kind and didn’t mind to pick me up at the night from his house in suburb.

My host's contemporary house on the little hill 


My host, David, has a contemporary structured house in the suburb. He provided me a private room with bathroom attached. I liked the views around his house especially scenes looked from the kitchen and balcony of the room I stayed.

Scenery from the kitchen

A lakeview from my room's balcony

During the few days exchange at his house, I helped him to do some simple jobs such as weeding the field for new planting, picking organic stone fruits and uncovered macadamia nuts at home. Aside from stone fruits and macadamia, he also planted some organic olive trees and vegetables.

Macademia nuts...

....and the tools

For most of the time, we had meals together. In fact, David is a healthy man and like good food. I used to have bread with avocados he planted for breakfast and he cooked for me once a while. Owing to my cooking was under par, I only prepared a simple broccoli soup once for him. What a shame!


David brought me to the town sometimes; we also had nature walks at beaches and botanic garden when we're free.





The day before I left, I had a chance to watch a live sheep shearing done for his sheep by his neighbour and I helped to collect the wools. The wools are actually quite greasy.

The sheeps were actually feeling nervous to be sheared
Wools from one of David's sheeps

My next journey was leaving to Paihia for a dolphin swimming. Thus, it’s time to say goodbye to him and I thanked him for the great experience…